Jun 26, 2003

I had picked up comics late Wednesday and wanted to do a quick roundup before attacking this week’s pile (two weeks worth) which was rich with good stuff!

Anyway, from last weeks’ pile (or two weeks ago rather):

Gotham Central #8 Again, one of the best books currently out there, a combination of Hill Street Blues or Third Watch and the Batman movies - no long underwear as much as some solid writing and art.

Dial H for Hero #5 The much ballyhooed book that is soon to be dropped from my buy list - just not making the grade, makes me wish DC had given Suicide Squad more of a chance.

Nightwing #82 Month in and month out a solidly entertaining and fun read. What amazes me is how DC has managed to round out the Dick Grayson character

The Filth #11 Grant Morrison’s 13 issue series winds down, more weirdness featuring Stalinist talking chimpanzees, fetishism and more. Hard to understand in serialized form as is most of Morrison’s work but, worth picking up.

JSA #49 God! I love this book. Back in the 80’s a friend of a friend worked as a penciler on a related title and it just never had the buzz that it has now. I never would have thought a writer could come along and make these characters interesting and fun to read but, then again Johns is responsible for the great Flash run.

Adventures of Superman A title that’s so uneven. A lot of ink is spent on boards throwing stones at Eddie Bargenza the current editor of the group and this book has me thinking some of it may be warranted.

Marvel The End #5 and #6 Jim Starlin tells the final Thanos story (I hope) but it was okay - maybe a 6 out of 10.

Green Arrow #26 Slipping greatly. Almost dropped, any life that was breathed into the character by Kevin Smith (who though I think is overrated, still did a great job with this book) is rapidly dissipating. One or tow more issues and that will probably be it for me. I have to check IVC 2’s website to see what the circulation on it is and if it’s been going down (as clear an indication I am not alone in my dissatisfaction).

Hunter Age of Magic #26 Soon to be canceled and probably with good reason even though this is the original Harry Potter

Kingpin #1 A simply great book. I really love Klaus Janson’s work and it’s great to see him inking again. Bruce Jones brings some of his Hulk magic with Sean Phillips pencils which are always a fave.

StormWatch #11 and #12 Just one of those titles I was thumbing through and decided to pick up. 12 was great, 11 not so much. I’ll keep an eye peeled for 13 and see which way it goes.

Batgirl Year One #7 One of the year’s best books. Beautifully drawn with a wonderful story to match. This will probably make it as a trade and I wouldn’t be surprised to see it in hardcover. Worth taking up residence on your shelf.

New X-Men #142 Cyclops and Wolverine try to outdrink one and other. Morrison’s step into the Marvel universe is a resounding success and his take on this title is refreshingly entertaining. Chris Bachelo proves he can still draw a mainstream comic although he still hasn’t matched the work he did on Shade. Time to step back and stop overworking those panels, buddy.

Batman, Legends of the Dark Knight #168 Predictable, hackneyed, not very good.

Incredible Hulk #55 A cover price of only 25¢, worth going out and buying a bunch of copies to distribute to friends (if you can still find any copies). Solid book with the jump off on a new story arc. Looks very intriguing, picking up on some plot threads from Kreuger’s Marvels.

This week, WildCats, Flash and the Planetary one shot came out so, it’s a pretty good week. WildCats is one of those books I could see turning up as a series somewhere on TV and doing well. I haven’t checked lately to see what the buzz is on the Planetary TV show (it really would make a great movie with the right casting - Dennis Hopper, Selma Hayek and Ewan McGregor maybe - all people I’ve mentioned before although now that I think of it Brad Pitt would be a great “Drummer”).

Also, I keep tryng to find someplace where I can at least link to cover art for this but, as of yet I haven’t had any luck.

No comments: